March 10, 2010 1 Comment
After a string of questionable acquisitions, CA hits a homerun by acquiring Nimsoft for a cool $350 million. Nimsoft is a pioneer of “Unified Management” and an emerging competitor to the Big 4 monitoring companies. Nimsoft gives CA a double-shot-in-the-arm of much needed excitement, product differentiation, and thought leadership.
What does Nimsoft bring to CA?
- Approximately 800 Enterprise and Managed Service Provider Customers
- An innovative Unified Monitoring approach spanning Cloud Computing, SAAS, Data Center, Application, Database, and Virtualization Management
- Unified Reporting including Customer Dashboards
- Next generation Event Correlation and Analysis
- Strong Upward Growth
- Easy to Use, Powerful, and Elegant Software Solutions
- Unified Monitoring APIs and 3rd Party Extensions to quickly add existing CA solutions
- Talent, Leadership, Execution, and more
It is great to hear that Nimsoft will not be folded into CA but instead will be run as a separate business unit. However, instantly CA feels a bit more hip, in-touch, and ready to step-up to the challenges their customers face. Suddenly the chuckles of “they bought who” at IBM, HP, and BMC gave way to “holey s***, CA just bought Nimsoft!”
If CA can keep Nimsoft’s talent, rationalize their product portfolio, and integrate some key CA assets into a single integrated solution suite, then they will be a force to reckon with. Additionally, by no means do I think the M&A activity is over for CA or any of the Big 4.
Congrats to Nimsoft for collecting a cool $350 million and building a strong, innovative, and growing business. Congrats to CA for recognizing all of the above and adding a gem to their cloud computing management portfolio.